Whether you’re a potential consumer trying to gauge the level of your vendor or a sign shop owner trying to branch into something new, it’s important to know what’s required for a professional vinyl graphic installation. In today’s post, the Signworld team breaks down what it takes.
Preparing for your installation
Even before you begin the installation process, there is a certain amount of preparation required for a professional-grade job.
Of course, the first thing you’ll need is some good vinyl signage. Contact a Signworld professional in your area to inquire about bringing your vision to life. When it comes to nailing your vinyl graphic installation, sign quality is key. You can’t skimp on the product and expect great results.
Once you’ve got your graphic, you may need to do a little “weeding.” Weeding refers to the removal of excess vinyl leftover during the manufacturing process. These little bits often end up in the space between letters.
Once you’ve got your sign in development – or in your hands, fully weeded – finding the proper location is the next most important decision you’ll have to make. You want to be sure that your chosen location is highly visible so that the vinyl sign’s impact or message reaches as many people as possible. Your location also need the right surface. Vinyl graphics adhere best to non-porous surfaces. Avoid primed or flat finishes if you want a top-quality install.
Preparing the surface for your vinyl graphic installation is just a matter of cleaning using a low-grade detergent. Opt for a cleaning product without ammonia if possible. Now you’re ready to begin!
- Step 1 – Measure and mark the area. Once you’ve chosen a general location and prepped the surface, you’re ready to mark the specific application area. Measure the area that your graphic will cover, then mark it on the surface you’ve chosen using a grease pencil. Be sure to keep the markings away from the actual application area – a rough guideline is fine.
- Step 2 – Place the graphic onto the designated application area. If you’ve got a coworker or friend standing by, now’s the time to recruit them for the job. Lay out your graphic to ensure the area you’ve chosen is suitable in size. Now’s a good time to ask yourself again if you’ve chosen the best spot.
- Step 3 – Create a masking tape “hinge.” Have your partner hold the graphic in place and apply a strip of masking tape across the top of the graphic to hold it in place. This is referred to as a “hinge” because of the way the graphic can flap up or down from its adhesive point.
- Step 4 – Wet the graphic. Lifting the graphic up from its hinge point, wet the back of the vinyl graphic.
- Step 5 – Place the graphic. Next, carefully peel off the back, working from the top down, and squeegeeing out air bubbles and wetting solution as you go.
- Step 6 – Remove excess liquid. Wipe off any excess solution with a clean cloth or paper towel. Take a moment to ensure the graphic has adhered properly.
Learn more sign installation tips from the Signworld team
Interested in browsing other types of signs? We have a huge catalogue of sign design ideas and styles. Let us help you find the best vehicle for your brand message – visit https://www.signworld.org.
Signworld is a national organization with more than 300 independently owned sign companies, which provide commercial custom signage and graphics. It’s personable, creative, rewarding and ideal for people-oriented individuals who have the desire to learn how to manage a sales and production business. Signworld has been a part of the industry’s profit and fun since 1988. With over 28 years in the business, Signworld has established itself as the leader in the no-royalties and no-rules sign business concept. The ongoing support and training along with state-of-the-art equipment helps leave the competition behind. For more details visit – https://signworld.org/Back